Kibette & Kibettoo. Early Days.

Monday, February 21, 2011

On whether to have children – or why

As a child, I had everything handed to me on a silver platter. I traveled through Europe and the United States. I was exposed to languages, arts, culture. I received a top-notch education. I took lessons in piano and ballet. I ran track in high school. I took home awards and scholarships. I was always encouraged and supported by my family and teachers, adults who were confident that I could do or be whatever I wanted.

I feel like I let everyone down. For all intents and purposes, I should be excelling at something right now. I should be a diplomat, or working at the United Nations, or be a published writer, or, at the very least, be accomplished in my field of choice.

I wanted to be an actor ever since Mrs. Campbell’s fourth grade play about the Romans invading Britain in something like 55 BC. It began with a troop of soldiers marching on stage, chanting “Sinister, Dexter, Sinister, Dexter…” (Latin for “Left, Right, Left, Right.”) I played Delirius, a bad poet. I made the audience laugh.

From that point on, I was in love with the stage. I loved the rehearsal process of bringing a script to life, of being back stage, of listening to an audience respond to the play. Most of all, I was in love with what I still feel is the noble art of bringing to an audience the chance to live vicariously through the actor.

An audience member can experience an event through an actor that they may never live through first hand. If a role I played resonated with even a single audience member, then that one person might walk away from the theater thinking a little differently about the world around them. And maybe, just maybe, one day they might behave a little differently as a result. Perhaps they would be a little more empathetic, or sympathetic, or open-minded in a way they weren’t before. The power of that potential ripple effect was how I felt I could make a difference in this world.

When I was in the throes of pursuing my career, my priorities revolved – theoretically –around acting. What if I missed a crucial audition because I was on vacation? How could I take a summer job waiting tables when it added nothing to my acting resume? Most importantly, how could I possibly get married and have children? What if I had to be away for a job for three months? Or six? I couldn’t risk that kind of commitment and sacrifice. In truth, I never succeeded to the level where that last issue was real, but I did aspire to be in that league, and so I felt I had to adopt those concerns.

Years of failing to earn a living as a professional actor took its toll on me. I found myself bitter, cynical and unhappy. Out of self-preservation, I finally quit.

Now that I’m no longer acting, I don’t have a career that calls for commitment or sacrifice. Now I’m afraid that I want children not only because I met the man whose children I want to have, but also because I don’t have something else to pour my heart into.

I mother my loved ones inasmuch as I hound them to wear sunscreen and be careful driving, but being a mother was never much of a draw for me. Babies have lots of body fluids oozing from every orifice; it kind of grosses me out. They cost a lot of money, they take up so much time. And it’s forever.

And yet. The desire to be a mother surfaced when my own mother died. I suddenly felt a strong yearning to bring a child into the world so that they, too, would know the feeling of being loved unconditionally.

That urge has tempered a fair amount since then, but there remains this fear that I will not have left this planet a better place for my having been on it. I don’t know if having children will rectify this, but I find myself with a mindset not unlike immigrants from a struggling nation, thinking, I can teach my child all I have learned, and they can have a better life than I did.

But this is a false statement. I have a good life. I have a rich, varied, interesting, entertaining life. Would I be so badly off if I didn’t have a child? Would my life be lonelier without children? Would my life as I know it today seem empty without having someone to pass it on to?

I have a little time left to answer these questions before I must make a decision. No, that’s not quite accurate; I have a few years remaining before I can no longer have a child - I have a lifetime to answer these questions. I just might not reach a conclusion before I lose the chance to be a mother.

1 comment:

  1. Please forgive my noting a technicality from my perspective as I attempt to extend the definition. I believe a woman has the option to mother forever and into eternity. It may not be the child you bore, but you can still mother a child. The option to offer a mother's unconditional love, can not be taken away from you, no matter what age, no matter the relation, what life stage. Your acts while you live and the memory of your life after you pass have the potential to comfort, nurture, challenge, and cajole. A mother's affections are available to all women and not limited by birth.

    ReplyDelete