Kibette & Kibettoo. Early Days.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Septembers

September always brings out the nostalgia in me. As soon as the sun starts to set in that decidedly not-August way, I begin seeking opportunities for solitude. It is at this time of year that I especially enjoy spending time with my thoughts. I do so all year long, but the nature of my thoughts goes in cycles.
In December, I gear up for the New Year. I set goals, resolving to fix those parts about me and my life that, once again, didn’t fit quite right the previous twelve months.
In July, around my birthday, I invariably tally up my life’s successes versus my – well, maybe not failures, but let’s call them disappointments. I focus on the benefits of being older and wiser.
But when September rolls around, my thoughts free-fall back in time to my teenage years.
I think of the crushes I had on those boys who didn’t call, and the ones who did. I think of the hopefulness of the school year just beginning, and the promise it still held. I think of the adventures I had with my friends, how naïve we were to get into those messes and how lucky we were to survive them. I think of the focus and determination I had then, how the endless possibilities drove me to be prepared for whatever may come my way. I had absolutely no vision of what adulthood looked like, but I was pretty sure it involved me driving a car and owning a purse. Even so, I was unswayed by all that I did not know.
And I love that about the me I used to be. Looking back at the younger me, I feel protective towards her, how the Me Then didn’t know that things were going to get a lot harder. I want to hug her for braving it all, for lurching forward into the future thinking she would figure it out, by golly! That’s the spirit!, I think.
Maybe that’s one of the reasons I like to spend time thinking about those years, to remind myself of my own spirit. I don’t have as much of it now. I fear it won’t come back.
Yesterday I listened to a woman sing a song about looking back at her younger self and thinking of the what-might-have-beens. Shine on me, sweet seventeen, she sang. I knew exactly what she meant.
As I neared my apartment the other night, I saw the lights were on. I came out of my reverie happy to be living in the present. I don’t have to worry about the guy I like not calling me. He’s making me dinner and waiting for me to come home.

3 comments:

  1. Great story! I love this time of year because it symbolized opportunity, change and my favorite sport. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I was unswayed by all that I did not know." these words are sinking deeply within as a consider them. sigh. and a toast to "surviving" our early naive years. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing Hemmendy! On occasion we track along similar routes....and here, again.
    I'm currently volunteering to read essays by potential PA candidates for next year's class at the northwestern univ PA program. I requested to read the essay question about what their experiences are in working with underserved populations and /or with people who are different than themselves.

    Many similar thoughts crossed my mind-- 'wow, they are so motivated and excited and... naive' !!! It was impossible not to think back to younger more exuberant days. I am LOVING reading them. Twenty down so far, am receiving more tomorrow and cannot wait. The applicant's spirit re-ignites my own...not to mention just how plain fascinating it is to read and try and learn of this complete stranger. But clearly, the 'wow, I am definitely aging' thought hit home as well.
    keep warm, enjoy the colors!!!

    ReplyDelete