Kibette & Kibettoo. Early Days.

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Game On

As Julie Andrews wisely advised in The Sound of Music, let's start at the very beginning.

One night after work last month, I went to see The Solitary Man. Michael Douglas plays an aging man who is not growing old gracefully. I chose to see this movie because I had read a review lauding Douglas' performance and was intrigued. That, and my boyfriend, O, who was disinclined to see it anyway, was playing poker. The night was mine, all mine, and so I happily headed to the Angelika for a date with myself.

I had not expected to leave the movie theatre intent on changing the course of my life, but there I was, minutes after the credits rolled, calling my sister and declaring the following:

1) We were getting old
2) We were not making the most of our creative lives
3) We had been living in the shadow of our parents for too long
4) It was time to do something about it

I was in no position to walk the mile and a half home, having just gotten stitches in my leg from a(nother) mole-removal. And yet, there I was, so completely focused on my newly-enlightened sense of purpose, that by the time I limped into my apartment, my right lateral thigh throbbing*, I felt completely energized.

*(Digression: In dermatology speak, "lateral thigh" means outer thigh. I asked them what they call the inner thigh. They said, "inner thigh." I followed this up with what seemed to me the next logical question. "Then why not call the outer thigh "the outer thigh?" They had no answer for me.)

I was ready to discover the Woman I Was Meant To Be. Then I spent weeks thinking about it. And then I spent ten days on vacation occasionally thinking about it. And then my sister posted two pieces about getting closer to the Woman She Was Meant To Be. And I knew it was time for me to step up to the plate.

So this is my introduction. My goal is to inform, to amuse (when the mood suits), to entertain (see preceding parentheses), and most of all to be courageous enough to share this journey of pointed self-discovery with you, the reader. Stay tuned. I'm already thinking about my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment